Direct Service is one of the "Four Pillars of Social Ministry". Listed below are several of the ways our parish focuses on Direct Service. If you are interested in joining a team, please contact Julia Gannon.
Green Square Meals
- A free dinner is provided Monday-Friday for those in need in our community
- 3rd, 4th or 5th Wednesday from 3:30 pm- 6:00 pm; help one Wednesday a month
Catholic Worker House
- A local emergency homeless shelter providing nighttime shelter and food for families with children, married couples and single women
- 3rd Wednesday of the month
- Provide one item for the dinner: main course, salad, vegetable, desserts or beverages
- Deliver your item to Catholic Worker House
- Scheduled 1-2 times a year
Willis Dady Center - “Sunday Table” Program
- A local emergency shelter for 20 - 35 residents including men and families.
- Prepare and deliver food items for a Noon meal
- 3rd Sunday of the month, 1-2 times per year
Habitat Work Weekends or Weekdays
- Work the 3rd Saturday or the 3rd Tuesday of the month on properties
- New construction, rehabilitation or restoration
Prepare Meals for Habitat Workers
- Provide sandwiches, fruit or drinks for Habitat Teams on a rotating basis
- Weekday and weekend needs
Work at Habitat’s ReStore
- Volunteers schedule donation pickups, stock shelves, prepare donations for sale, set up displays, assist customers
Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Drive
St. Pius X is a chosen site for the annual blood drive. Our next scheduled date is June 21, 2016.
- Donate Blood
- Help with donor sign up after masses; make reminder calls
- Help the day of the drive with set up, prepare/serve refreshments or welcoming
BLOOD DRIVE – THANKS FOR YOUR LIFE-GIVING SUPPORT!
A huge thanks to all who came to donate blood on Wednesday, June 24 at the annual St. Pius X Blood Drive in conjunction with the Mississippi Valley Regional Blood Center. Your time and effort will help as many as 184 patients at area hospitals from the 46 units of blood that were collected. Much appreciation to everyone who volunteered by bringing yummy snacks and serving refreshments to make this year’s Blood Drive a success! You are encouraged to continue donating blood on a regular basis. The next St. Pius Blood Drive is scheduled for June 21, 2016 from 2:00 - 7:00 pm. Thanks again for your life-giving support!
~ Linda Charlton and Cathy Soukup, St. Pius X Blood Drive Co-Chairs ~