OUR ST. PIUS X PARISH VISION
St. Pius X is committed to lifelong faith formation that focuses on evangelization, formation, catechesis and conversation for building up the Kingdom of God. The center of all action is the celebration of the Sunday liturgy. (adopted 2006)
ST. PIUS X PARISH MISSION STATEMENT
Saint Pius X Parish in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, is a Christian community in the Roman Catholic tradition. Realizing that our baptism was a call to serve the Kingdom of God in this world we are conscious of the mission dimension of our parish. After prayer and dialogue we have chosen our parish mission as follows:
“To be a community of worship, praise and thanksgiving of the Almighty God.
“To be a serving community with a strong sense of social justice and social responsibility which seeks to know and serve those who are in need.
“To assist parish members in building and deepening a relationship with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.
“To provide all members of the parish with opportunities to hear the Word of God through preaching and teaching, and to know the doctrines of the Roman Catholic religion.
“With the help of God, the leadership of the parish staff and the dedication of the members, the parish will faithfully pursue this mission in this year of our Lord 1988, and in the years to come.”
HISTORY OF SAINT PIUS X
In 1955, Archbishop Leo Binz initiated correspondence with Msgr. James Kearn, pastor of St. Matthew Parish, and Msgr. Maurice Sheehy, pastor of Immaculate Conception Parish, concerning the need to establish a new parish to serve the needs of Catholics in northeast Cedar Rapids, Hiawatha and Robins. After much deliberation the present parish site was purchased in 1958.
The nucleus of the new faith community was made up of members of St. Matthew and Immaculate Conception parishes. Msgr. Sheehy and his associate pastor, Father Dean Walz, were given the responsibility of forming the parish community and building the new parish facility. In the beginning they met at the chapel of RegisHigh School for Sunday Eucharist. At the insistence of Msgr. Sheehy the new parish was dedicated to the newly canonized saint, Pius X. St. Pius X was officially established as a parish in 1959.
The first building was completed in 1961. This served as the parish school, and the gymnasium was the parish church until 1971.
In 1970, under the direction of the new pastor, Father John Sims, plans were developed for a parish church, parish offices and a residence for the parish priests. The new church was dedicated by Archbishop James J. Byrne on Jan. 31, 1971.
In 1972, Father Bernard Collins became pastor of the parish. During his time as pastor additional classrooms were added to the school, as were offices for the Religious Education Program.
Father Joseph O’Brien was assigned as pastor in July 1982 and served until July 1993. Father O’Brien added a kindergarten room and three additional classrooms to the school. Also during that time the priests’ residence was remodeled for additional offices for the increasing parish staff, Pastors Hall was constructed and the priests moved to the present rectory at 1500 48th St. NE.
St. Pius X Parish grew like the biblical mustard seed over the years until it included nearly 2,500 households. In July 1989, Archbishop Daniel W. Kucera established St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Parish in Hiawatha, and 450 families from St. Pius X joined the new parish.
Father Donald Klein became the pastor of St. Pius X on July 13, 1993. In August 1998, St. Pius X, with all other Cedar Rapids area parishes, rejoiced in the opening of the new Xavier Catholic High School. In August 2002, Regis was reopened as an area middle school. In November 2003, three new classrooms were added to St. Pius X School.
On June 5, 2004, Archbishop Hanus dedicated the newly renovated St. Pius X Church, the new St. Pius X Hall, youth center, meeting rooms, resource library and child-care area. Our “Dare to Dream” became a reality.
Father Philip Thompson was appointed pastor on July 13, 2010, upon Father Klein’s retirement. He continues to lead a vibrant Catholic faith community in the long tradition that has gone before us. We move forward in hope to further the Kingdom of God among us.
The current membership total is 4,919 in 1,944 households.